Ads 468x60px

Labels

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Nurture or Nature: Genetics and weight loss.


People come in all shapes and sizes, but some have a more difficult time losing weight.

From time to time I’ve heard comments like, “oh blame it on my genes, I couldn’t lose weight for the life of me, I’m just built this way”. I can speak for myself and tell you that I am not one of those people that is naturally thin, I really need to “watch” my calorie intake/exercise routine ratio – but, I can also tell you that I am currently the healthiest that I’ve ever been before. 

It makes a difference once you start to implement positive changes in your diet and exercise.  It’s so worth it!

Body weight is not only determined by what you got from mom and dad, or your uncle Bob – sure, that has some bearing on your weight, but there is so much more than that!   One’s body weight is complex and has so many different components to it -- metabolism, culture, behavior and even your socioeconomic status.

The difficult and not so-easy-to-swallow truth is that maintaining a healthy weight is not an easy thing, especially as one gets older.  It takes work; determination and most importantly, you’ve really got to want it! 

You might find the following website worth your time to keep on hand as it explains so many of the complex components that contribute to body weight. 



No comments:

Post a Comment