Ads 468x60px

Labels

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lemon, Garlic & Pistachio Hummus

We are definintely hummus eaters -- really, it is the perfect snack, a light breakfast or even a light accompaniment to fish or chicken.  But today, we had none in the house!  What I did have was a couple of cans of garbanzo beans in my pantry.  The other ingredients are things you should have in your pantry all the time, like garlic and olive oil (I did have some left over pistachios from the other day) So, this is what I did...

2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed well
2-3 minced garlic cloves
3/4 cup good quality olive oil
Lemon juice from 2 lemons
1/2 cup pistachios, finely chopped
1 tsp. salt & pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp. Turmeric

Mix ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth, I found that the olive oil did not add enough liquid for smooth processing so I added about 1/2 cup vegetable broth (water is fine).  Once it is all smooth, I remove from the processor and add the pistachios at the end just to add a little crunch and texture.  So good with pita chips or whole wheat pita.  I pick up my fresh pita at Balboa International Market -- they have a large variety of pita bread.  Check it out....


No comments:

Post a Comment