Ads 468x60px

Labels

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Quiche with Asparagus, Mushrooms & Prosciutto

Last night we had a gathering where many leftovers were, well, left over. So, since I had the ingredients at home to make pie crust, I made a couple of quiches from the left over ingredients I had...I looked up a Bon Appetit recipe for a quiche I made before and decided I could improvise and get creative with an idea from this recipe(from The Bon Appetit Cookbook by Barbara Fairchild, Asparagus-Parmesan tart).

Another note, because I try to substitute higher calorie ingredients when I can, I substituted evaporated milk (338 calories in a cup) instead of using whipping cream (821 calories in a cup). It still came out delicious.

Pie Crust
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2-3 tbsp. ice water
*Remember, I doubled the recipe because I had enough ingredients to make 2 quiches*

For the crust: I blended the flour and salt in a processor. Using on/off turns, I cut in butter until mixture resembled coarse meal. Then, I added 2 tbsp. of ice water and continued processing until it began to clump together, you can check the process, but add a little more water if necessary. I then gathered the dough into a ball, flattened into a disk, wrapped in plastic and chilled in the refrigerator for about an hour.

I then rolled out the dough on a floured surface to make sure it would fit into the pie dish, trimmed the edges and then I chilled the dough again for about 1/2 an hour.

For the filling, I melted a tbsp. butter in a large skillet, added the chopped mushrooms that I had filled the night before with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, asparagus with prosciutto and remaining figs with prosciutto. In a separate bowl, I whisked 6 eggs and added about 1/2 cup of evaporated milk with a dash of salt and pepper. (I also had about 1 cup of left over parmesan cheese from the night before).

Lastly, I removed the pie shells from the refrigerator, added some of the left over parmesan cheese first, then layered with the mushroom mixture (which was divided into the 2 pie shells), then the egg mixture and finally topped it all off with the remaining cheese I had. And here's what it looked like....


No comments:

Post a Comment