Ads 468x60px

Labels

Friday, September 14, 2012

Blueberries in September

In keeping with seasonal vegetables and fruits, I've added a post for Blueberries which are currently in season.  This pretty blue fruit has been praised by Researchers to be the highest known fruit or vegetable to be tested for anti-oxidants. These same anti-oxidants are ones that help protect our bodies against cancer, heart disease and delaying the aging process. Even centuries ago, blueberries were known to help with alleviating stomach problems.
The cultivated blueberry has a known birthplace of New Jersey and was pioneered by Elizabeth C. White and Dr. Frederick Coville in the early 1900s. This makes North America as the world's largest blueberry producer with a number as large as 90% of current world production. Harvest time for this tiny little fruit goes from the middle of April through early October with peak harvest in the month of July. This month also happens to be known as National Blueberry month. 
With regard to recipes for blueberries, I'm sure there are far too many to count and as much as I'm not one for baking as much as I enjoy cooking, this blueberry cobbler is one that I've made from time to time and is from the All Recipes website called: "Best Ever Blueberry Cobbler". The only thing different I did was use a dash of cinnamon that I added to my flour mixture. As far as a Blueberry Cobbler used from times past, I added a recipe from The Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer - revised for the first time since 1974.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment